Commuter Challenge 2017
When: 13 February – 17 February 2017
Commute to school, work, to the shops or a friend’s house by bike and receive a free breakfast along the way!
We’ve teamed up with some great local supporters of Bike Wise Month who will make you a hearty breakfast on your daily
Every day we will be giving away some iWay goodies and if you turn up to at least four of the five mornings, you will go into the draw to win some great prizes sponsored by Hastings District Council and Napier City Council.
Simply bike or walk past the following businesses between 7am and 8.30am and the breakfast is on them!
Hints on successful and enjoyable commuting by bike
- Clothing – you do not have to wear lycra, dress to impress. It is OK to wear your high heels or a suit, saves getting changed before work! The more chic you look, the more cars will notice you – the safer you will be
- Luggage – sick of a sweaty back from a back pack? The best investment you will ever make is a good pair of pannier bags. These can carry everything you will need for the day. Again, you don’t need to stay with black – there are some really cool ones out there in the market place now
- Plan your route – with all the cycle lanes and pathways around Hastings and Napier, spend a little time planning a route you will enjoy riding. You may be surprised, it may only add a few more minutes to your trip, or none at all. Even extra time can be worth it, if it means your enjoyment value increases
- Lights – make sure you have a set of lights on you at all times, you never know when you may get caught out after dark, or even in bad weather. Even if they are just the clip on lights which you can keep in your pannier bags
- Bike Lock – I would love to say your bike will be safe left outside a shop, but I’m afraid I can’t! Even if you don’t think you will need one, always carry one, you never know when you may need it
- ENJOY YOUR RIDE by feeling the wind on your face, being in touch with your community, more money in your pocket and arriving at your destination with a healthy feeling in your body